Cookie Consent by
a man looking at the camera


Who to contact if you're in distress

By CGordon 15 May 2021

Many of us find balancing the demands of study with other commitments and responsibilities extremely challenging, which can impact our mental health and wellbeing. Sometimes we need to reach out and ask for some help or for someone to listen to how we are doing, and that's absolutely okay. This article will highlight some of the services you can contact if you are in distress or need someone to talk to.

Who to contact during term time

CaPS is a service designed to help students with mild to moderate needs to manage their mental health. They offer focused blocks of therapy, subject to assessment, and single session consultations for listening to specific issues. You can book an on the day consultation through their website or you can email them. Their website also has links to self-help resources and other relevant mental health services.

The University Chaplain welcomes all students, offering pastoral care and a calm space at the heart of campus. A Chaplain is someone independent you can talk to in confidence, who can provide support and advice at times of stress and crisis. They are also available to help explore spirituality. You can book an appointment with one of the Chaplains on their website.

If you live in UofG accommodation you have access to your Residence Life Team. Residence Life Assistants (RAs) are senior students who live at your residence and are trained to provide out of hours support for a huge range of scenarios. They can provide a listening ear, are trained in Mental Health First Aid, and can help signpost you to services that are relevant to you. Your Residence Life Teams are on call from 6pm to 8am on weekdays, and 24 hours at weekends. The number to reach them will be displayed throughout your residence, and can be found here too.

Student Support Officers (SSO's) are here help students to be successful learners by providing first line support as a listening ear, encouraging and helping students to resolve issues and difficulties. They can signpost you to sources of information and provide advice and guidance in relation to your studies, wellbeing, and future lives and careers. There are college specific SSO's as well as one specifically for students living in halls. You can find out more about them and how to get in touch on their website

The Peer Support Programme provides a confidential student-led listening service, allowing students to talk and share their problems and receive support from trained Peer Wellbeing Supporters. Some of the issues people come to Peer Support to talk about include: anxiety, stress, isolation and loneliness, dealing with change, relationship problems, homesickness, financial stress, academic concerns, etc. You can book a meeting with a Peer Supporter on their website.

If you have a chronic mental health condition you can register with the University's Disability Service. While they cannot directly help with your mental health, they can ensure that appropriate support is arranged for you during your time at UofG. This includes examination and study arrangements or additional funding from the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA). You can arrange support from the Disability Service through their website.

The SRC Advice Centre provides a list of health and wellbeing contacts, as well as out of hours and emergency contacts on their website. You can also make an appointment to speak to one of their experienced advice workers who provide guidance on a wide range of subjects and are able to link to other support services if required.

The SRC are partners in the Glasgow Students' Nightline service

Bullying, Harassment and Sexual Violence

If you experience bullying, harassment or sexual violence, you can make a report through the Report and Support form or by contacting a First Responder or Respect Adviser. The SRC Advice centre is a third Party Reporting Centre and provide advice and support.

If you need help from Student Services but you're not quite sure who would be best to assist you, you can contact the Student Services Enquiry Team who can help to signpost you to the right help for your needs, for example financial information, careers advice, assistance with your learning, etc.

Togetherall is a safe space online to get things off your chest, explore your feelings and learn how to improve and self-manage your mental health and wellbeing. It's free to use by the UofG students, anonymous, accessible 24/7, and provides online peer and professional support by trained counsellors. It also has self assessments and recommended resources, self-guided courses to do at your own pace, as well as creative tools to help you express how you are feeling.

As well as University services, you can also access support via your general practitioner (GP). Even if you are registered with the counselling services at the University, your GP may be able to offer additional support and/or medication to assist you if necessary. Information on accessing NHS services and registering with a GP can be found here.

If you need immediate help

If you are afraid that you, or someone you know, may be a danger to themselves or others then please seek help immediately by calling 999.

Other services you can contact include:

If you live in University of Glasgow accommodation, you can also contact your Residence Life/Living Support Team out of hours who can provide a listening ear and assist you in accessing help.

CGordon profile picture

CGordon UofG Residence Life
View All Posts